The Association is dedicated to "Maximizing Excellence" for court officers and provides the following opportunities for each member to participate in this endeavor:
- Network with other court officers from across the state
- Serve in leadership roles within the Association as an officer, director, or committee chairperson
- Serve on state and local committees and have positive impact on issues which relate to you as a court officer
- Receive statewide and local recognition for exemplary performance
- Attend quality training programs
Verbal Tactics ( Verbal Judo)
Training & Certification Opportunity - December 3
(The Cost is covered by The Supreme Court)
The Supreme Court of Ohio Judicial College is developing instructors on Verbal Judo. These verbal de-escalation skills are something we are looking to have in the Bailiff/Court Officers Curriculum so we are wanting to develop Bailiffs/Court Officers as instructors.
We are hoping Chief Bailiffs will recommend appropriate staff members for this training opportunity.
We are looking for 6 Bailiffs and Court Officers to become certified national trainers in Verbal Judo. The Supreme Court will pay for the cost of the training. The first session will be a one day training here at the Supreme Court of Ohio on December 3rd.
The next training will be a week long training event in December 2016. There will be annual one day re-certifications after that.
The Supreme Court will pay approved travel expenses for those Bailiffs and Court officers who attend.
We are looking for officers who are:
· Serious, who believes in verbal de-escalation and talking to people - not just throwing people around.
· Someone willing to commit to 4 years of training bailiffs (several days each year over a 4 year period)
· Someone who with good presentation skills.
· Someone with the approval of their judge and supervisor to be out of the office several days each year to provide training to others
Interested bailiffs should contact me right away as the training is about 2 weeks from now. My contact information is below:
J. Kristopher Steele, CCM | Education Program Manager | Supreme Court of Ohio
65 South Front Street ■ Columbus, Ohio 43215-3431
614.387.9459 (telephone) ■ 614.387.9449 (fax)
FYI - Job Opening
Part-time Court Constable, Wood County Court Security Dept. pay grade 6 range 18:00-22:00 hr. OPOTA certified, dependable, and good public relation skills.
Send resume by December 1, 2015 to Tom Chidester 1 Courthouse Sq. Bowling Green, Oh 43402.
This cane skull sword was brought into the Wood county courthouse complex on 7-14-15 at 1:20pm. It was detained at the front security desk. The sword was held while the owner went to the Auditor’s office for his business. He also had a pocket knife that was held. Note the 18 inch sword that was attached to the skull head when it was screwed onto the cane was concealed. Please be aware of this. thank you